 |
| Me, Slipper and Freedom |
Laos. I never imagine that I will have something in mind about this place. Even during my elementary school, when my Geography‘s teacher taught us about ASEAN Countries, this name never came up as one of a place that I have to visit someday. Even after I grew up and transform from the teenage into an adults. Still not until i expand my footsteps out of my country.
Going overseas is not about privilege. Indonesian people fully understood that our country is much much beautiful to be explored and wandered. A wise people always said, it’s not about the destination that matters, but travelling process it selves. So whether its domestic or international, just learn from your travel and experience.
So it does with Laos. An underdeveloped country that still far far away from Indonesia in term of modernity and economy. A landscape that not even surrounded by the ocean. But surprisingly, its bounded the citizen to be chauvinism into their own country. How can I say that? Laos people are not allowed to married to foreigners. That’s why I’ve never seen local people hanging around and cling with foreigners. We couldn’t exchange Laos Money (KIP) outside the countries. You have to spend all of it unless you want to keep it as a gift or memorable thing to have.
 |
| Just arrived at Thanaleng, and headed to the south Bus Station at Viantianne |
What did I do in Laos?
I entered this country by overnight train departed from Hualamphong Train Station in Bangkok. Arrived in the morning on the next day in Tha Na Leg station before heading to Viantianne, the Capital City of Laos. The city is not much different with main big city in Indonesia, but less modern compare to Jakarta or Surabaya. Maybe you can use Palembang or Pontianak as comparison. Viantianne consider as the calming city with slow motion in terms of rhythm of living.
I have read some travel notes through blog walking and short chat with friends, and noted that we don’t have much to enjoy in capital city. Some temples, massage, and temple were there. But you can have more experience and taste another side of Laos in country side. That’s why after leavin the border, I took shared car with one Malaysian Guy and a couple from Bangkok towards bus station. Initially I planned to go directly to Luang Prabang by 8 hours day bus but someone suggest me to enjoy Vang Vieng beforeLuang Prabang since its in the middle of my journey to Luang Prabang. And surely it gave me a big surprise.
We reached the Bus Station after around 1 hour rental car ride with cost THB 1200 per person (yes, you can still use Baht in Laos). After exchange some money into KIP, we decided to have lunch at the station before get in to the rent car for 5 hours trip to Vang Vieng with cost 50,000 KIP per person. The roads were bumpy, and its kind of 11 persons excl. the driver has to be squeezed in the car. Someone vomiting for sure, and it doesn’t make the driver slowing the ride.
 |
| Beauty drink with Collagen at Viantianne Bus Station |
 |
| I don't understand the signal as well |
 |
| Minivan who brought me to Vang Vieng |
 |
| Vang Vieng at evening |
I get off at the empty field on a very very sunny day whereas all of my surrounding were dusty. Theres no crowded like what I expected since it’s a tourism spot nor any sign showing where I have to go then. But a few minutes later a saw European traveler, a Spain’s couple, that assure me that I’m not get off at the wrong place and this place is a place worth to visit. They told me that the spot should be somewhere down the field, something gonan do with the river and river activity. They even show me a map about this place while I have nothing. And then I ended up walking with them to find out.
This place remind me a lot with my hometown during weekdays, when all of people went out for work and school and I found myself walking alone on empty road with all of the houses were close and quiet. No sounds of television and sounds of people arguing or just ongoing chat into something. There’s a tourism office, but it was closed somehow. We try to have short peek into the river but there’s not much to see. We keep walking until some hostel and guesthouse appeared. Yeah, I need to spend at least one night here because it still 5 hours to go from here to Luang Prabang and it such a waste after being here and not got into something that famous among traveler.
I stay in a shared twin room located a lil bit far from the main area while those couple stay at the one close to the tourism office. Its evening already, so after have my first shower after around 24 hours road from Cambodia to Laos I decided to walk around, explore and try to find some food to recharge my energy. And thanks god, there’s one halal food there.
 |
| 2nd proper and halal meals after the last one in Ho Chi Minh, at Nazim Restaurant |
 |
| Vaang Vieng |
 |
| My shared room, cheap and comfortable |
There are many water sport advertising along the main street, I came by and just noted that this is what I am looking for. Suddenly I realized why people came here, because when the sun set many foreigners walking back heading to the main road with their swimsuits and water sport equipment. Most of them were on the river, and emptied the city at the same time. I booked mine then, and ask whether the operator can help me to have overnight bus to Luang Prabang tomorrow. Yeah, I have to be in a rush because I still have Luang Prabang and Bangkok before heading back to my country.
 |
| Ignore my guide, it supposed to be me but somehow he failed to have a nice shot of me on that scene :( |
 |
| Food, food and food |
 |
| Morning café at Vang Vieng |
In the next day, I’m ready to have my first tubing cave. I bought a package that give me both tubing cave and kayaking that will occupied almost all of my time till evening. This package included all drinks (mineral waters), lunch, dry bag and head lamp for use during the activity. Its tiring enough, that’s why I’m easily fall asleep on the bus during my trip to Luang Prabang.
Thanks for the suggestion, surely this is the definition of better to experience something once rather than hearing about it from someone thousands times.
No comments:
Post a Comment